Thursday, September 18, 2014

“Fly”, Original Mixed Media Artwork by Colorado Artist, Donna L. Martin

 "Fly"
 
 



 
 
"Flying" and being brave seems to be my "theme" for the year.  This whole new adventure, painting in mixed media, has been born out of a tragedy.  It has evolved out of trying to heal and explore what works for me in the healing process. 
 
In this new journey, I have been trying to push myself and my art.  I've been finding my voice, for the first time, through my art and what it says.  I seem to be connecting to people through my art...and no words seem to be necessary.  All of the emotions in my heart and soul spill out on to the canvas.  
 
This piece has several layers in it.  I used stencils at the very beginning and then began layering torn and painted pieces of paper over the stenciled areas.  I used a stencil and molding paste to add more texture.  I then added a photo transfer of the butterfly and painted over her body and wings.  In this piece I wanted to convey the feeling that the butterfly is flying towards the light, which is how I was feeling.  I also added a glass door pull in the middle of the piece - just because I loved it and it felt like the piece needed it.
 
I have always been extremely shy and I'm not very good with words, so this is an amazing way for me to be able to say what I'm not able to.  It is scary, "putting it out there" for people to see.  I wonder if people will get it, or relate to it, or judge it.  But, this is the year to be brave and just do it.  So, I will continue in this journey.  I will try to be "Fearless" and "Fly".
 
"Fly"
 
12 X 12 X 1.5  Mixed Media on Cradle Board.  It is heavily textured with layers and layers of paint, paper, and molding paste.  The middle of the piece is embellished with a glass door pull.  It is finished with a Resin Coating ~ No need to frame, unless you would like to do so.
 
$140
 
Feel free to contact me at:  saltlightwatercolors@yahoo.com.  I would love to hear from you!
 
 
Follow me on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment